When it’s Christmas time, and you have lots of BBQs and parties to go to, you need a quick and easy salad to take along. This 5 Ingredient Vegan Potato Salad is perfect. You can put it together in less than an hour (most of that time is cooling time) and it uses only 5 basic ingredients.
This salad is great for BBQs, or even as a side for Christmas Day. I love to bring it for a salad to a BBQ because then I know I have at least one salad that’s safe for me to eat. The best part is, potato salad is quite filling, so I’m not going to starve.
This also makes a great side to my Vegan Christmas Roast for a summer Christmas Day lunch. I love to have a traditional Roast as a centerpiece, with summer salads to go with it. It’s a great blend of traditional and Aussie summer.
The best potatoes for potato salad are small and waxy types, like small red skinned potatoes. If you’re in Australia, Coles sell bags of potatoes for potato salads, which work really well.
So how many potatoes do you need? If I’m taking the salad to a BBQ or Potluck, I tend to use 1 – 2 potatoes per person. I use closer to 2 per person if I know there aren’t going to be many other options for me to eat, just so I can guarantee there’s enough left for me! If I’m serving this as a side, I generally use 2 – 3 potatoes per person, depending on how many other sides I’m making.
To Make the 5 Ingredient Vegan Potato Salad
Prepare potatoes by washing and cutting off any eyes or marks. You don’t need to peel the potatoes because the skin gets covered with dressing.
Place the potatoes in a medium sized saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approximately 10 – 15 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender the whole way through.
Drain potatoes and allow to cool so that they are cool enough to handle.
When potatoes are cool, cut into 2cm cubes.
Combine dressing ingredients in a separate jug.
Add potatoes and dressing to a bowl and toss until the potatoes are coated.
You can make this salad a day ahead. Once made, cover the salad and store in the refrigerator.
If you’re after more Christmas Recipes, check out my Sweet Mustard Glazed Vegan Roast, or the Easy Vegan Chocolate Fudge for dessert!
5 Ingredient Vegan Potato Salad
- 1 kg Small waxy Potatoes
- 1 cup Vegan Mayonaise
- 2 tspn Dijon Mustard
- 1 tspn Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbs Fresh Dill chopped
- Wash potatoes and cut off any eyes or marks. You don’t need to peel them.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Place on the stove and bring to the boil. Simmer for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until the potatoes are just soft all the way through.
- Remove potatoes and drain. Place in a bowl in the fridge or freezer to cool, until they are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, mix dressing ingredients in a separate jug.
- When potatoes are cool, cut into 2cm cubes. Remove any loose pieces of skin, but you don’t need to peel them.
- Add potatoes to a salad bowl and pour the dressing over. Mix through until all of the potato is coated in dressing.
- You can make the potato salad a day ahead. Simply store, covered, in the fridge until required.
Delicious! Everyone loved this recipe and it was too easy!