Gingerbread cookies are one of those recipes that epitomise Christmas. The warm spices just shout Christmas is here! What list of recipes would be complete without a yummy Gingerbread Cookie recipe?
Not only are these delicious cookies vegan, they’re also oil free, and full of healthy ingredients (well, mostly… It is Christmas, after all). How’s that for having your cookie and eating it too?
These vegan Gingerbread Cookies are a great holiday baking activity to do with your kids. They can help you knead and roll out the dough, then cut them into fun shapes. You can also make these up and give them out as gifts to family and friends. There’s nothing better than a gift of yummy homemade biscuits. Better yet, you can be happy you’re giving out a vegan gift, and your family will never guess!
To Make Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
Add almond butter, apple puree, sugar and molasses to a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. You can also make these vegan gingerbread cookies in a food processor, so add all ingredients to a food processor bowl and process until smooth.
Add 2 cups of the flour, baking powder and spices. Mix on low speed until the flour is just combined.
Knead the dough with your hands until the flour is fully incorporated. You may need some extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
Turn dough onto a floured workspace and roll out with a rolling pin. You want the dough to be about 5mm thick. Thinner dough will give you crisper cookies.
Cut out cookie shapes using cookie cutters or a glass. Place the vegan gingerbread cookies on the prepared baking trays.
Bake for approximately 10 minutes (less if you dough is thin) until the cookies are just browning. They will crisp up as they cool. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
For more yummy vegan Christmas gift ideas, check out my delicious Vegan Chocolate Fudge!
Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- ⅓ cup Almond Butter
- 120 g Apple Puree unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs Molassas
- 2 cups Wholemeal Flour + ½ cup
- 1 tspn Baking Powder
- 2 tspn Ginger powder
- 2 -3 tspn Mixed Spice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add almond butter, apple puree, brown sugar and molasses to a bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add 2 cups flour, baking powder, ginger and mixed spice. Mix on low speed of the mixer until just combined. You may need to increase the speed of the mixer if the motor is struggling.
- Use your hands to knead the dough until the flour is fully incorporated. You may need to add extra flour if the dough is sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out until about 5mm thick.
- Use cookie cutters or a glass to cut the dough into shapes. Lay out on the baking trays.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until the cookies are just browned. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. The cookies will crisp up as they cool.