This is my go to recipe for amazing vegan burger patties and meatballs. The best part is, they’re soy free, seitan free, and made with just wholefoods.
You can make this recipe into meatballs, by forming small balls and baking them in the oven. Or, if you prefer, you can form the mix into patties and cook them in a frying pan for delicious burgers.
To Make Vegan Meatballs and Burger Patties
To make the meatballs, add the chia seeds and water to a cup and set aside to form a chia egg. Finely chop the onions and carrot in a processor (or chop the onion and grate the carrot by hand).
Add the walnuts and process until coarsely chopped.
Add the oats and beans. Process until just combined. You don’t want to over-process or the meatballs will lose their texture.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients and chia egg. Mix with carefully with a wooden spoon or your hands until fully combined. You want a slightly wet mince texture.
Roll the mix into small balls and bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until they’re crispy on the outside.
Alternatively, shape mix into approximately 6 patties. Heat a non stick frying pan on medium heat. Cook patties for approximately 5 minutes on each side, until browned.
Enjoy on on a burger with your favourite toppings.
Vegan Burger Patties and Meatballs
- 1 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 1/2 unit Onion
- 1/2 unit Carrot Medium
- 1 cups Walnuts
- 1/3 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 420g Tin Kidney Beans Rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbs Italian Herbs
- 1 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Bread Crumbs
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the chia seeds and 3 TBS water in a cup and stir to form a chia egg. Set aside so that it becomes a gel.
- Add onion and carrot to processor. Process until just chopped. Alternatively, you can finely dice the onion and grate the carrot.
- Add the walnuts and process to form a rough crumble.
- Add oats and beans. Process until just combined.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl. Add chia egg, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and herbs. Add 1 TBS bread crumbs. Mix with a wooden spoon or by hand until fully combined. The mix should resemble a slightly wet mince. Add more bread crumbs if required.
- Shape the mixture into small balls and place on the prepared tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for approximately 15 minutes, or until browned on the outside.
These look yummy, but the directions are a little disjointed. When do you add the chia seed egg you set aside, and also when do you do the beans. I’m presuming the beans are smashed and not whole. Please reshare directions with all the ingredients and what is done when. Thanks…. Can’t wait to try this.
Hi Marianne, oops it like some steps got missed along the way! Thanks for letting me know! I’ve added in the beans and chia seeds instructions back in. The recipe uses whole beans because they get chopped up in the processor. You don’t want to over process it, otherwise the patties will become mush. Let me know how you go!